Foam rollers are a wonderful tool to release tight muscles, increase circulation and improve performance and mobility. This is an inexpensive form of massage that can work deep into the tissue helping to relieve tension and even promote flexibility. Foam rolling also increases circulation which can help you recover after a workout or prepare for exercise. You can target most muscles groups in the body with a foam roller, just remember to move slowly to allow the muscle to release for the maximum benefit.
You can also use a foam roller to add variety and challenge to your workout routine. Try this move below that will not only open the pectoral muscles of the chest and work into the biceps, but will also also challenge the core while keeping you in proper spinal alignment.
- Place heavy weights on either side of the roller. Come to a seated position on one end with your knees bent and feet flat on the floor. Lower yourself down on the roller vertically with your spine on the middle of the roller until your whole head rests gently on the other end.
- Once you engage your core and find balance, pick up the weights and bring them to your chest.
- Raise the weights straight above your chest bone, palms facing.
- Slowly lower the weights to shoulder level in a fly position, palms to ceiling to feel a nice stretch across your chest.
- Pull your belly button to your spine and exhale through your mouth as you press the weights back above your chest to complete one repetition.