Restaurant Tips: Summer Vacation Series
Deciding on a satisfying (yet healthy) dish at a restaurant can be a struggle, so we put together a guide for dining out while on vacation. We hope these tips will help keep you accountable for your food choices and maintain that beach body you’ve worked so hard for.
No matter the restaurant, choose the local fare, keep it fresh, keep it clean and keep it delicious!
When we’re at the coast we love fish and shellfish prepared simply with olive oil, a little fresh squeezed lemon and tasty herbs. We also love fresh local greens tossed with herbs, crunchy veggies, olive oil, vinegar, lemon, salt and pepper.
Choose these dishes at a restaurant:
- Shrimp cocktail instead of fried shrimp
- Blackened fish instead of a crab cake
- Sautéed spinach instead of creamed spinach
- Roasted vegetables instead of potatoes au gratin
- Quinoa instead of rice
- Sashimi instead of nigiri or rolls, or for an even tastier raw alternative, choose ceviche
- Grass fed, organic meat over conventional meats. Liz says, “don’t throw barbecue under the bus — just eat it seldom and without the bun!”
- Fresh berries and dark chocolate instead of cakes, cookies and pies
These restaurant tips and healthy alternatives will keep your body from feeling lethargic and bloated while enjoying your summer getaway. By eating clean most of the time and keeping up with your HSM workout routine, you can allow yourself to splurge on your favorite treats (read: wine) on vacation.